28 February 2014

Getting Settled

I've been living in this flat with Simon for six months now and it's really starting to feel homely. When we first got the keys the rooms felt a bit sparse (despite moving in a van load of stuff), so we've been gradually making it feel more welcoming. Most recently we've put a couple of frames up on the walls which has really made a difference to the atmosphere in the rooms.
In the living room I've filled the fireplace with logs and fairy lights - unfortunately we can't use the chimney, but I love how cosy it looks in the evening anyway. We've started filling the bookcases with books in order of colour, but it's quite time consuming and we've still got a large number of books left to sort out. All the toys are Simon's, he's not willing to let them out of his sight!
The Up print was a lovely gift from one of Simon's pals. We're both big fans of Pixar so it's in pride of place at the moment. I spend most of my time in the living room and it's no coincidence that it's my favourite room of the flat.
I'm very lucky that our kitchen has plenty of storage, so I can use the shelves for display purposes. At the moment I have some of my favourite baking equipment on show as well as two coloured Kilner jars I picked up in TK Maxx last week. Simon's not a fan, but I think they're really pretty!
The bedroom is on the large side so it's hard to make it feel cosy (not that I'm complaining!). I've wanted an old steamer trunk for years and I was so chuffed when my parents bought me a brown one for my birthday in October - at the moment it sits at the end of our bed. However, the one photographed is another one. My upstairs neighbours have just moved out and they were getting rid of loads of furniture. I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted this black trunk amongst their stuff and they said I could keep it. So now I have two! I'm yet to figure out where to put the black one, but I'm sure I'll find the perfect place for it.
What's your favourite part of your home?

3 comments:

  1. How organised is your bookcase with the colour coding?! Love it - our main bookcase is a total ramble of books here and there interspersed with vinyl records. We have book/vinyl issues and space issues big time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, I love your fireplace fairy lights (so pretty) and especially that UP print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty pictures, love the fairylights in the fireplace! x

    underbluelights.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...