4 January 2013

A Quick Flashback of 2012

It’s crazy to think that this time last year I was planning a month long trip to Australia for the whole of February. I clearly remember the day before I was due to fly – it began to snow and Heathrow cancelled a third of their flights! Fortunately my journey wasn’t affected and I was able to embark on the 25 hour long journey without a hitch.

aus1
20120218_190742

I spent just over 4 weeks in Australia and, after landing in Melbourne, I met up with my friend Katie and we did a small tour of the East Coast. I didn’t have a lot of time, but I managed to squeeze in the Gold Coast, Byron Bay, Sydney and of course Melbourne. I saw koala bears in the wild, visited Palm Beach of Home and Away fame, posed in front of Sydney Opera House AND worked up a particularly impressive tan, but all too soon it was time to fly back home.

Mind you, coming back home wasn’t too upsetting because my big sister Abby got married in April. Abby and Ian’s wedding was the first one I’ve ever been to (shocking I know!) and it was all the more exciting because I was a bridesmaid.

abbyian
abbyandian
AIdet (175)

Rumour has it that Friday 13th is supposed to be an unlucky day, but this wedding is living proof that the rumours are all just a load of rubbish. The day was gorgeous and despite the rain deciding to rear its ugly head at one point, it didn’t last and the sun came back out for the reception party.
A lot of people have described the wedding as ‘homemade’, and I think this reflects the day really well. Abby and Ian chose two beautiful venues, got crafty with fabric flowers and sourced plenty of bunting, whilst my mum made the bridesmaid dresses, cakes, and paper windmills all from scratch. The night before the wedding, Abby and I got together with the rest of the bridesmaids to make our bouquets (and I discovered I’m definitely not a natural at flower arranging). Ian also made all the ties for himself and his ushers.
Abby has never been a traditionalist and I don’t think anyone in my family was too surprised when she chose a Vivien of Holloway dress with a pink petticoat for the big day. She looked absolutely beautiful and both Abby and Ian had huge smiles on their faces all day long.
Afterwards, the wedding was featured on Rock N’ Roll Bride which you can take a peek at here.

Later in the year I moved back to London and jumped at the opportunity to go to Boston for a couple of days with one of my best friends Tasha. I’ve already blogged about that here, so I won’t go into too much detail, but I can’t wait to have another chance to go back to the US.

IMG-20120915-WA0000

I have no idea what 2013 has lined up for me, but it already sounds pretty exciting. Abby and Ian are expecting their first child this month (I’m going to be an auntie, eeek!), I’m looking forward to capturing more moments with lovely new camera and I can’t wait to catch up with my friends back in London again (I still haven’t made my way back from Chichester!)

What are you looking forward to in 2013?

8 comments:

  1. aww I want to go to Australia so badly! My sister and her boyfriend are going on a four week tour, like you did, in October and I'm so jealous!
    It looks like you had a lovely year :-)

    Francesca xo
    http://goingroundthemulberrybush.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun, and it made it all the better that I left a cold English winter to go and frolic in the sun! haha. I hope you get to go at some point! xx

      Delete
  2. I've never really thought I'd want to go travelling but when I think about doing a few weeks in Australia or the states it's definitely more me than trekking through rainforests! Sounds amazing! Your sister's wedding looks fantastic. I dream of a cute homemade thing but can't help but be scared I'll just stress myself out! Ah well, plenty of time to plan! :)
    http://fashionsings.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! My sister and her husband are all about trekking through rainforests – maybe I'll grow into it one day haha.
      I think the wedding plans did get pretty stressful towards the end (especially when they made a last minute change of venue!) but it all paid off in the end! xx

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, Australia! It's one of my biggest dreams to go there, but it's also one of the most expensive journeys in my life (probably) and since being a student does already cost a lot of money, I guess I'll have to plan that trip after my graduation :(
    Congratulations on becoming an auntie so soon! I have a one year old cousin and I could cuddle her all day when I see her. It's so nice to see the family growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was very expensive, I saved up when I was working full time and I still found the trip very pricey. Worth it though!
      I'm so excited about being an auntie, I'm looking forward to lots of cuddles haha. Thanks! :) xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a pretty amazing year! Love and travel, that's what it's all about, right? I have some of both in store for me this year, so I'm pretty excited. Wishing you the happiest of new years!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...